Now, I like "Hello", but this is one case where the music video takes away from the song. Lionel is stalking a blind woman. Let me repeat that again: a BLIND WOMAN. I thought it was a little stalkerish. That got me thinking about my top five "stalker" songs:
- "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" - The Temptations and the Supremes: Sweet song, but kinda creepy when you listen to the lyrics in verse two...
Lookie here my love is strong you see
I know you'll never get tired of me ooh baby (sure won't)
and i'm gonna use every trick in the book
I'll try my best to get you hooked hey baby (take me I'm yours)
and every night, every day
I'm gonna say
I'm gonna get ya, I'm gonna get ya
Look out boy cause I'm gonna get ya
- "You Belong To Me" - Doobie Brothers: This song is actually ok until you get to the chorus. I mean... why is Michael McDonald going on and on about this other guy? Makes me think he's got a machete stashed in that beard...
- "Girl In The Life Magazine" - Boyz II Men: I'll admit...I LOVE this song; though that doesn't take away from the creepiness of it. I mean, they are openly talking about sending this woman fan mail and fanatsizing about pictures of her. I don't know what babyface was thinking about when he wrote this. Burr...
- "Hello" - Lionel Richie: You've all seen the video... he is straight up stalking this woman. He's a teacher; she's his student. He follows behind her in the hallways. He calls her and doesn't say anything. AND SHE'S BLIND!!!
- "Every Breath You Take" - The Police: This is the only song that was actually supposed to be about the obession and jelously of an old lover. What's funny is that people play this at their wedding...
The first time we met in an aisle At the market She was staring at me I knew even then we would share Something special And it was like chemistry I fell in love from the moment I saw her So I took her straight home with me And that's where I'd dream She would step right out of the picture And spend a while evening with me